About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHSScotland.
- In the week ending 28 February 2021, 3,698 individuals were recorded in the contact tracing software, from which 6,520 unique contacts have been traced.
- As at 28 February 2021, there have been 202,470 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 3,798 in the week ending 28 February.
- In the week ending 23 February, there were 488 admissions to hospital with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19.
- In the week ending 27 February there were 42 new admissions to Intensive Care Units (ICUs) for confirmed COVID-19 patients.
- In the week ending 28 February there were 2,977 people who arrived in Scotland from outside the UK, of which 2,103 were required to quarantine (of which 409 were quarantined in a hotel) and 2,102 were contacted by the National Contact Tracing Centre.
- In the week ending 25 February, 0.2% of key healthcare workers who were tested for COVID‑19 tested positive.
- During the week ending 21 February, there were active confirmed cases of COVID-19 in 91 out of 1052 care homes that returned data (1,065 care homes in total).
- During the week ending 21 February, there have been 25 cases of COVID-19 confirmed by PCR testing under the school LFT testing programme, all amongst school staff.
- While rates of hospitalisation or death were higher during the second wave across the population, those of South Asian ethnicity appear to have been at proportionally greater risk compared to the White group during this period.
Additional charts and data are available to view in the interactive dashboard accompanying this report.
Wider impact detailed analysis
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
A range of analyses on the impact of COVID-19 across aspects of NHS Scotland is available on the interactive information tool (external website).
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 (for example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
Find out more
- weekly COVID-19 statistical data in Scotland
- COVID-19 vaccination in Scotland
- COVID-19 dashboard
- Enhanced surveillance of COVID-19 in Scotland
- Hospital onset COVID-19 cases in Scotland
Access the COVID-19 dashboard for the following information:
- daily COVID-19 positive cases and deaths by health board and local
- daily hospital admissions and ICU admissions at Scotland level
- data on vaccinations from 26 February 2021
There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 – for example, Coronavirus in Scotland on the Scottish Government website (external website) and deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland on the National Records of Scotland (external website).
COVID-19 in pregnancy in Scotland
The 11 May 2022 COVID-19 statistical report contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
View information about the COVID-19 Infection Survey (external website) – this represents the single biggest expansion to date of asymptomatic testing for surveillance purposes in the pandemic and is being conducted by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and the University of Oxford, on behalf of the UK and The Scottish Government.
Highest risk (shielding) list
The 02 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report contains information relating to shielding patients.
The COVID-19 statistical report interactive dashboard was updated on 18 May 2022 to include more recent information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 positives
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email email@example.com.
To report any issues with a publication, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.