About this release
This weekly release by Public Health Scotland presents data on COVID-19 across NHS Scotland.
- In Scotland, in the week ending 05 September 2022, the estimated number of people testing positive for COVID-19 was 113,500 (95% credible interval: 93,900 to 136,000), equating to 2.16% of the population, or around 1 in 45 people (Source: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Survey, UK - Office for National Statistics)
- In the latest week ending 18 September 2022, there were 254 new COVID-19 admissions to hospital
- In the week ending 18 September 2022, there were on average 631 patients in hospital with COVID-19, a 4.0% decrease from the previous week ending 11 September 2022 (657)
- In the week ending 18 September 2022 there were 16 new admissions to Intensive Care Units (ICUs) with a laboratory confirmed test of COVID-19, an increase of 7 from the previous week (11 September 2022)
- Out of the 477,294 patients waiting for a new outpatient appointment at 31 August 2022, there were 2,106 patients waiting longer than two years
The response to the COVID-19 pandemic is likely to have a wider impact on health and care as a result of the lockdown, economic pressures and changes to health services.
Since the start of the outbreak, Public Health Scotland (PHS) has been working closely with the Scottish Government and health and care colleagues to support the surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 amongst the population. There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 (for example, Coronavirus in Scotland – Scottish Government (external website) and Deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland – National Records of Scotland (external website)). This report complements the range of existing data currently available.
The next release of this publication will be 28 September 2022.
Find out more
- weekly COVID-19 statistical data in Scotland
- COVID-19 vaccination in Scotland
- COVID-19 dashboard
- Enhanced surveillance of COVID-19 in Scotland
- Hospital onset COVID-19 cases in Scotland
Access the COVID-19 dashboard for the following information:
- daily COVID-19 positive cases and deaths by health board and local
- daily hospital admissions and ICU admissions at Scotland level
- data on vaccinations from 26 February 2021
There is a large amount of data being regularly published regarding COVID-19 – for example, Coronavirus in Scotland on the Scottish Government website (external website) and deaths involving coronavirus in Scotland on the National Records of Scotland (external website).
COVID-19 in pregnancy in Scotland
The 11 May 2022 COVID-19 statistical report contains information on COVID-19 infection and vaccination in pregnancy in Scotland.
View information about the COVID-19 Infection Survey (external website) – this represents the single biggest expansion to date of asymptomatic testing for surveillance purposes in the pandemic and is being conducted by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and the University of Oxford, on behalf of the UK and The Scottish Government.
Highest risk (shielding) list
The 02 March 2022 COVID-19 statistical report contains information relating to shielding patients.
The COVID-19 statistical report interactive dashboard was updated on 24 August 2022 to include more recent information relating to ethnicity of COVID-19 positives
If you have an enquiry relating to this publication, please email email@example.com.
If you have a media enquiry relating to this publication, please contact the Communications and Engagement team.
Requesting other formats and reporting issues
If you require publications or documents in other formats, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To report any issues with a publication, please email email@example.com.