This release does not include specific COVID-19 information. For PHS Coronavirus information, visit our COVID-19 webpages. Coronavirus in Scotland information (external website), can also be found on the Scottish Government website.
You can view previous publications prior to September 2019 on the archive Public Health Scotland website.
p - Provisional. Data presented for the latest quarter are provisional and subject to change in future publications as submissions may be updated to reflect a more accurate and complete set of data from NHS Boards.
There were over half a million (529,466) outpatient attendances between 1 April to 30 June 2020. Of these, 25% (131,352 attendances) were new cases. The remaining 75% (398,114 attendances) were patients returning for follow up appointments.
Inpatients and daycases
There were 141,761 hospital admissions between 1 April to 30 June 2020. Of these, 66% (94,089) were emergency admissions; 7% (10,273) elective admissions; and 26% (36,338) daycases.
There were on average 12,785 available staffed beds per day for all acute specialties in the quarter ending 30 June 2020. An available staffed bed is one that is available for inpatient or daycase care. For all acute specialties in the quarter ending 30 June 2020, the percentage occupancy was 62%.
Please note this release includes the initial months of Scotland going into emergency measures due to COVID-19, which will impact on the volume of hospital activity and trends observed. For example, the inpatient and outpatient activity has halved when comparing April to June 2020 to the same quarter last year.
The data for the most recent quarter is provisional. Provisional data is subject to change in future publications as submissions may be updated to reflect a more accurate and complete set of data from NHS Boards.
Disclosure control methods have been applied to the data in order to protect patient confidentiality, therefore some figures on total counts may not be additive.
Further information on this publication is available on these web pages. Data from this publication is available to download from our Data files and Data explorer sections of our website and the NHSScotland Open Data platform.
Previously published information prior to September 2019 are listed on the Hospital Care Publication page. To view current publications in the new beta website, please go to the Hospital Care Landing page.
The next release of the Quarterly Acute Hospital Activity & NHS Beds publication will be in February 2021.
View the publication summary (PDF, 181KB).